Saturday, July 7, 2012

Nationals XC Race Recap

This years XC nats race came and went quicker then usual. We arrived Wednesday night real late, and I pre rode the course on Thursday. Started with a quick start loop into about a 10 minute loose gravel climb that stayed steady at 15-25%. Then a loose descent with tight flowy switchbacks. My game plan was to take it "easier" the first two laps (we did five). Gun went off Friday morning, and I was sitting in the top 15 or so. I wasn't really concerned about my start, because I knew a lot of guys would go crazy the first lap and just beat themselves up on the climb for the next four laps. The laps went on, and that was true, but not as much as I'd hoped. What turned into a race plan, turned into just being able to stay on my bike on the climb in the first place. It was just so steep and loose in some spots a lot of people would dismount. After the first 2 laps my position pretty much stayed the same the rest of the race. My legs felt good (cramped some the last lap, but I dont think it affected my placing at all), I rode smooth on the descent, and I gave 'er all I had. The result just wasn't really what I was looking for (15th of 30). I'm overall pretty disappointed with how it turned out, but I had a good race and that's all I can say. I'll just have to focus in my training more for the next few years, and try to achieve at least a top 10 or even a top 5. Tomorrow is the super D, which I am super psyched about, always a good time. Also the Short track which is at 330 tomorrow, but unfortunately I probably will get pulled fairly quick since I race with the normal Pros. In the words of Matt Fox: CHARGEEEE

No comments:

Post a Comment